Mary DeMuth just posted this fantastic idea. Every day in December leading up to Christmas, her family celebrated the holiday season in a unique way.
She created a homemade Advent calendar and wrote ideas to celebrate the season on little slips of paper. She then put one idea in each pocket, and every day pulled out a new activity to celebrate with her family. So cute!
Hop on over to Mary’s blog or read her Christmas Advent list below. Enjoy this Christmas!
• Read the Christmas story in several gospels over the course of several days.
• Read a favorite Christmas book. (Since we have several, this accounts for many pieces of paper.)
• Sing a Christmas carol into someone else’s voice mail.
• Make paper snowflakes.
• Drive around the community to see the lights.
• Go Christmas caroling.
• Make hot chocolate with mint. (Add ½ tsp mint extract to your existing cup.)
• Make Christmas cookies.
• Take a walk outside and gather branches for the mantle.
• Wrap presents.
• Send Christmas cards.
• Pray for the people who sent you Christmas cards today.
• Make Christmas gifts (usually food like apple butter, spice mixes, homemade hot chocolate mix).
• Attend a community concert.
• Go on a carriage ride. (They have these in our non-snow community. No sleigh rides in Texas!)
• Host a cookie exchange.
• Read the Isaiah prophecies about Jesus.
• Share one thing you’re thankful for over the past year.
• Decorate the Christmas tree.
• Risk your life and hang lights outside. (Our roof has an extremely steep pitch.)